Continuation of “A Walk Around Lustleigh”
9. Brookfield also originally belonged to Bovey Tracey [3 miles down the A382]. The first houses here were built in the late 19th century for the men who worked at Kelly Mine.
10. Station House : The Newton Abbot to Moretonehampstead Railway opened in 1866 running for just under 100 years and being famed for its well-kept garden [presumably, The Station House]. The passenger service ended in 1959.
The Station House [private drive]
11. Bishop’s Stone : the indistinct coat-of-arms carved on the front may be that of the See of Exeter but little is known of the history surrounding the stone.
12 : Old Gatehouses: built for Coombe Hill but are now private dwellings.
One of the Gatehouses
13. War Memorial: dedicated to the memory of all who fell in the two World Wars.
14. Great Hall, or Old Rectory: This historic building with its 14th century timber roof was once the home of the Lords of The Manor and later the Rectory. It was divided up into three private properties in the 20th century.
15. “Parson’s Loaf” : There is only speculation as to why this unusual rock came to be so called.
16. School House. The Board School built following the Education Act of 1870 for Infants and Juniors also provided accommodation for the Head Teacher. It was closed in 1963 and is now a private dwelling.
[The Infants School on the rights is now holiday accommodation and that is where we stayed in Lustleigh]
The School House
17. Town Orchard: The road between The Dairy and the Former Post Office leads past the recently-rebuilt Village Hall to The Town Orchard given to the people of Lustleigh by a resident, Mr W. Bennett. It is where the annual May Day festivities take place.
18. The Bridge over the leat taking water the the Old Corn Mill, now a private dwelling.
The Bridge and Leat
19. The road leads to Rudge, one of the old farms of the Manor of Lustleigh, and from where a footpath continues past another old farm, Lower Hisley and on to Hisley Bridge in Lustleigh Cleave.
Road leads to Rudge
20. Baptist Chapel : built in 1853 and still in regular use as a place of worship.