After about an hour and a half admiring and being amused by the Golden Triangle homes we moved on to inspect a few more significant buildings of the era before being left to our own devices for the afternoon in Antwerp city centre.
The Five Continents side view
“The Five Continents, 2, Schilderstraat by Smet Verhas in 1901. The owner, the shipbuilder P. Rouis, was commissioned a ship’s bow for the corner which explains the boat shape balcony. There is also a wonderful iron lamp behind the boat.” The fantastical building has recently been scrubbed up and painted. It is also called “‘t Bootje” – little boat.
The Five Continents Doors and Loggia
The Five Continents
The Five Continents Closer
The Five Continents Even Closer
The People’s House was built by Van Averbeke in 1899-1903 and is now transformed into a school. It has a large mosaic in venetian glass and the structure of the building is of wrought iron. It is just a short distance from The Five Continents and stands on a busy main road criss-crossed by tram lines – so take extra care when taking photographs.
The People’s House, Antwerp
The People’s House, Antwerp. Detail